Essex Fire & Rescue
I have been working alongside the Senior Leadership team at Essex County Fire and Rescue Service and their 1500 employees since Feb 2016. ECFRS is dedicated to ensuring Essex is a safer place to live, work and travel, and is one of the largest non metropolitan services in the country. In 2015 the Service commissioned an independent review of culture (Lucas Report) which became a critical pivot point for change. 1 year on the Service and its Leadership Team have been widely accredited for the progress made and the clarity of its ambitions going forward and is already being sought out to support other Fire and Rescue Services across the UK wanting to embark on a similar journey.
- To align as a senior leadership team on the strategic aims for 2020, develop a clear picture of the “what, how and why”
- To support the Senior Team to define and role model the behaviours and ways of working required to support a transformation in culture for the Service
- To create more opportunities for involvement and engagement with leaders and employees at all levels so that they feel valued, heard, informed and part of creating the journey of transformation and change
What we did:
- Monthly facilitated alongside support/challenge for the Board/Service Leadership Team to develop and align on priorities, accountabilities and new ways of working
- Programme of facilitated “your voice” sessions and open forums where all employees could share their feedback on the issues to overcome and input on the “what, why and how” as it was developed
- Bi monthly facilitated leadership forums designed to support open and honest communication, alignment, feedback between 50 senior people managers across the organisation and provide external stimulus to challenge assumptions, share learnings and drive continuous improvement
- Listening groups on Station to understand issues in engagement in more depth, provide insights, specific recommendations and Exec Coaching support for Leadership team
“In early 2016, Nic was asked to help review the strategic priorities and to assist in the development of a new set of organisational values for the Fire and Rescue Service in Essex as part of the process of preparing a new organisational strategy for 2016-2020. Nic’s energetic and creative facilitation quickly delivered results with the Senior Management team which could then be tested more widely across the Service.
Nic was also asked to help design and then facilitate a series of Manager’s forums for the top 50 managers of the Service to help build new insights into the strategic priorities and values that had been developed in previous workshops.
Nic played a hugely important role in challenging both me and my Directors to provide clarity of purpose for our organisation and her insights on the team and the organisation have been extremely valuable on our transformation journey.
On a personal level, I also value Nic’s insight and courage to have really frank, honest conversations about personal and team priorities.
I would have no hesitation in seeking Nic’s assistance in the future.”
Adam Eckley, Chief Fire Officer Essex County Fire and Rescue Service
“Nic has been a key part to helping the Service develop it cultural change programme. Nic’s fair and direct challenge to both individuals and in open forums has encouraged honesty and brought energy to discussions, helping and supporting the organisation in many aspects ranging from Strategic Planning to individual behavioural change. Nic has an uncanny ability to grasp and interpret the dynamics within groups she facilitates in order to gain an appreciation of how to get the optimum out of all. This has been evident with her work with the Service Directors, Senior leadership Team, in management forums and in individual one-to-one coaching. There is no doubt that Nic has been fundamental in building foundations for ECFRS in its programme of change.”
Dave Bill – Assistant Chief Fire Officer Essex County Fire and Rescue Service
“Nic has undertaken a range of developmental team work and individual coaching for us. Her input has been transformational in many areas. Her skills as a facilitator and her ability to observe and name what she sees have added great value to our team. She has a range of tools that she brings seamlessly into use. Nic is absolutely ‘present’ and ‘in the moment’ when she is facilitating and coaching, this means that she is able to offer invaluable insights. Nic take a collaborative approach in all that she does and it is enjoyable to work with her. I cannot recommend her highly enough.”
Collette Black HR Director Essex County Fire and Rescue Service